mardi 5 février 2008

eurydice!

Today was stunningly beautiful. It was sunny and warm - I didn't even need a jacket wandering around this afternoon. Class ended half an hour early, and I met up with my second language partner (a girl) for lunch - she was fabulously cool. We got japanese food (my fifth japanese lunch of the week - I think I'm ready to be done with it, though it was delicious) and went to Laduree for macarons. Laduree is a patisserie which is famous for its macarons - I believe they were invented there. We waited in line for half an hour to get three mini-sized pastries that were out of this world. Out of nearly twenty flavors (orange, vanilla, pistachio, chocolate, dark chocolate, praline, caramel, etc) I chose rose (tasted like it smelled), cherry-vanilla, and chestnut. The chestnut was my favorite for sure. Chestnut paste (crème de marron) is really big here, and it's so tasty - like nutella without the chocolate.



If you're lucky, I'll bring you back some... though at 1,40 per macaron, you'd better be damned appreciative.

This week was a busy week - hence no posting. I had two small papers and a mini exposé due, and spent Wednesday evening eating at the visiting professor's house with 5 other students and Thursday night at the Opéra. The meal was so great - the professor loves to cook, and I happened to be there on vegetarian night, and the meal was wonderful! Pumpkin soup, ratatouille, salad, cheese, and chocolate cake. Yummmm.

The Opera was so wonderful that it deserves its own paragraph. It was an opera-ballet of Orpheus and Eurydice choreographed by Pina Bausch, who is a well-known modern ballet choreographer and uber-feminist. They had two people per role - one as the dancer and the other the singer - and it was so, so powerful. This should give you an idea of her style - at least watch the first 30 seconds of it:



Once again, the Bings generously came through with the tickets, and everyone got dressed up in their sunday best. The Opera Garnier is the oldest opera house in Paris - very traditional, gilded, red velvet seats and all the trimmings. Who would've thought that the opera would be so enjoyable? Needless to say, I've never felt so cultured.

The Opera Garnier:


Of course Sara and Chloe aren't looking at the camera:


But I was!:


Orchestra-level seating, baby:

Aucun commentaire: