lundi 28 janvier 2008

the plight of the sunday meal

I found where all the Parisians go on Sundays: Parc Monceau, and they bring their dogs, children, and lovers to keep them company while they "jog." No joke, I saw all of the following during my 3 loops:
- Two women, walking briskly in fur coats around the loop, chain-smoking cigarettes
- Three men stretching along the benches for the entire duration of my run
- A couple in full exercise gear, jogging (or I should probably say galavanting, or frolicking, because their movement was simply too joyous for simple jogging) while holding hands and stopping every once in a while to make out.

Sunday meals are a little harder to come by than every other day because everything closes. I got talked into buying a kilo of strawberries (a kilo=2.2 pounds. yikes) for 5 euros and ate dim sum. You can usually count on the ethnic places to be open. But where do the Parisians eat who don't cook on Sundays? Maybe all of them cook...

Today in my French class we learned a ton of slang words used by young French people. They're really big on inversing words - like our version of abbreviations? For example, musique (music) becomes zikmu, or just zik, and femme (woman) becomes meuf (not exactly derogatory, but not complementary either).

Before I run to get coffee with Sara, one quick side note: there will be no more listening to iPod while walking around Paris. I see French people do it all the time, so I thought I was fitting in, but this may not have been the case.

I'm getting a cold, slowly but surely... bah humbug.

Aucun commentaire: